It is a 2.5 ton truck of the US Army. Apparently it looks like the 6-wheel drive as I checked on the back side. Wonder if it is out of product already… There used to be one of a resale items of the Tamiya Italeri original box in Japan.
Since the chassis assembled from a frame structure grips small parts into two large parts, I cut them out like a picture and assembled it at once. I’m laying it on the table as I am confused the parts assembling.
A total of 8 tires is rear wheels, parts are different between inside and outside. Including spare tire and front tires, There are a total of 11 and 4 types of parts. Before assembling the parts, half of the tires were gone off from the runners, around in the box and rolling, assembling them while checking which parts are proper.
Because the rear wheels are unstable when glued and fixed with twisted, I adhered while adjusting all the tires on a neat flat surface such as a glass table.
There is an Italeri logo and a stamp of Made in Italy on the back side of the front fender.
I attached all the tires, including the spare tire, and installed the front fender. I think assemble the chassis was completed.
It is the loading platform assemble.
I start to build it freely, the truck needed painting inside the driver ‘s seat. Now painting process here so I cannot paint all later like a tank model.
The loading platform is glued to the chassis and thereafter the driver’s seat and the upper machine gun are installed. Painting the driver’s seat before that.
Driver’s compartment, the meter’s decal is attached.
You can choose either with or without winch on the front. This time I attached it and replaced the metal chain.
Adhesion of the bonnet and front fender to chassis frame was fixed with the strength of tightness by using plastic adhesive and instantaneous adhesive in combination. Especially it fitted neatly without using putty. It was a nice surprise as I intended to fill the gap with putty from the beginning.
Recently there are a lot of multi-material kits, and this Italeri kit is all plastic. I replaced it with a metal chain. Finally, move to paint.
I am going to add more chipping on the one-color olive drab painting. I’ll peel off the water-based paint after using the hair spray, so firstly, it is coated of gloss black.
The whole is painted with an acrylic olive drab. The dust was blown around the suspension.
The aqueous acrylic paint was peeled off to randomly expose the black surface. The timing is difficult to stop the peeling.
It is the 2.5 ton truck produced in the United States during the Second World War, which is famous for its large number of productions by GMC. It was called by the nickname “Jimmy” which is a common name in the United States. There was also sometimes called with the nickname “The Work Horse of the Army”. The truck of this type was produced during the Second World War more than 800,000 units other than GMC, including Stude Baker, etc.
The transport system with a truck called Red Ball Express was the logistics route for refueling, ammunition, repair parts, food, etc to the units that advance to inland after the Normandy Landings. This truck played an important role in establishing this system.
In fact I think that the wooden part was also painted in olive drab, but this time I tried finishing with grain woody texture paint with oil painting. It may be fiction. Well, since hundreds of thousands were used, various tracks would have been gathered, one of them was like this work.
Unfortunately, the attached decals are getting too old, the margins of the stars are whitening and the finish is not good. So I used the Cartograf and Tamiya decals from the kit which I made previously. In fact, the yellow circle on the front seems to be a Free French Army marking, I used it for a good accent. Although it is just a transportation truck, it is somewhat getting better looking around the end of the marking.
Equipped with an M2 machine gun on the roof. I think that the mold is pretty good for the old kit.
I used the Tamiya Texture Paint to make the mud of three-dimensional effect. Also painted mud on the back of the front fender and feel as natural as possible. It is an interesting point of the AFV modeling.
The cargo beds were painted to various weatherings such as mud, rust, scratches, dry mud and dust.
Since there are not so many parts, it is lowered hurdle model for beginner users. But I did not compare it with the Tamiya kit, maybe Tamiya is easier to build.