I will try to make this AFV Club Sturmtiger this time. Would it be the habit of the builder with a lot of stock to put hands on the old kit as remembered when some kit was released from other companies?
You can adjust the slackness of the caterpillar by moving the spring-loaded inside the mechanism. Because it is considerably tensioned and there is the worry of strength, after winding the caterpillar it is better to remove the spring and bond it. It seems to be difficult to fix if the inside is damaged later. I personally do not need a spring.
I used this connected movable caterpillar. The package seems to be an initial type track, I used a Tiger I track of the latter type. I also have an earlier type at hand, it’s for Tamiya’s Tiger I.
I spread epoxy putty flat and Zimmerit coating. In the past, we also added petroleum to prevent putty on the blade. I used grease for a bicycle, it was helpful for a smooth coating. But it will be full of oil, so I’ll have to wash it carefully before painting.
Because nothing is detailed in the cannon, there is rifling in the photo-etched sheet, and it is designed to roll it to a cylindrical shape and stick it to the inner diameter. As is expected, AFV Club’s a good idea. Because it is a metal sheet it is difficult to roll and tightly stick. I heated the metal sheet with a gas range and then annealed it before rolling it. Even if I fail, and there is a gap, it will be all right because I paint with the inside diameter black later.
I am very thankful that the mesh engine cover is in this kit. Tamiya’s kit is sold separately for such parts and sometimes it is sold out. When it is sold out, there are times of an overcharging price.
It is tri-color camouflage of dark-yellow, red-brown, and dark-green. The German camouflage pattern in the latter part of World War II slightly raised the occupancy ratio of the other two colors, considering the declining ratio of dark yellow.
To build Sturmtiger, they had to remodel the Tiger I heavy tank and it seems that General Heinz Wilhelm Guderian did not have an agreement of consuming valuable Tiger tanks. So it was only 18 tanks to have been produced after all. It depends on the situation, but I think the 18 Tiger tanks are more useful.
Although Sturmtiger originally decided to develop it in early 1943 as a weapon for destroying the fortress in the first place, used in a real battle was in the summer of 1944 in Warsaw. I think that the attack weapons were not very useful at this time of retreat. It would be more appreciated if there was even one anti-tank weapon.
The weight of the ammunition of this rocket cannon was 345 kg, and it was carried to the tank by a simple crane. 14 rockets were able to be stocked. It will be frightening if the armor penetrates and explodes all.
A tank with such characteristics, I think it’s one of the attractions of German tanks that such tanks can be made as a kit. Because it was released in Tamiya in the old days, it’s a familiar AFV in the eyes of whom were former boys. This time it happened to be made with the kit of AFV Club. It was fun to make including painting and Zimmerit Coating work.
I am interested in models of tanks, airplanes, ships, military figures, I build it little by little when I feel like it. I am also interested in the history of war. My starting is Tamiya’s Military Miniature series in the elementary school.
From elementary school through university students repeatedly suspend and restart my modeling, it’s about 25 years of this hobby’s history.
Born in February 1970, I live in Tokyo. From February 2007 I was quietly doing a site called “Miniature-Arcadia”. It is being transferred to this blog with the same name from December 2016. My update pace is uneven, but please come to see here occasionally.