I used a linked caterpillar set sold separately for AFV Club Tiger I. Built in March 2015.
At this moment, it’s a very old kit, it’s released around 2005. I began to make this Tiger I tank. Because this kit was stocked for around four years, I thought it would be completed. I made a similar Dragon Models kit around six years ago.
I excavated such a thing from the depths of the closet. 2 sets of late-type caterpillars and more 2 sets of early type. Maybe I bought them in the stage of the exchange rate in favor of yen strong but almost forgot it. Tiger I is also released from Zvezda and Tamiya, I’ll have a chance to use them near future.
It’s late-type, I may not exclude Zimmerit Coating. I prepared Tamiya and Wave epoxy putty. Because I attach parts immediately after coating, I assemble mufflers and other parts beforehand. The Tamiya epoxy putty is hardening time in 12 hours, Wave is 2 hours.
I checked the road wheels straight from the lengthwise direction. And while covering the rear armor over this putty, I attached many parts at the same time quickly. This Tamiya putty has 12 hours to fix, I could go shopping. On this front armor, I made some battle damage.
Here’s connecting movable caterpillar. Even one side is very long, I use the A4-sized cutter mat to the full diagonally, but still does not seem to be enough.
It’s Valentine’s Day today in Japan and it’s the day that a girlfriend (lady) buys chocolate for a boyfriend (men), I am told that cake companies decided it. My wife bought cakes so today’s work is ended…
I buried the injection pin marks of the caterpillar in Tamiya light-curing putty. This putty’s plastic cap was broken by age deterioration. The second of this was broken on the way, too. It is a feeling to be broken at times fixed like a timer and to promote the next demand… I think this cap should be replaced with a metal cap. Or I hope Tamiya releases the adjusted metal cap with selling separately for a small price.
I run out of Tamiya putty on the way, I used Wave and Tamiya together. Tamiya is sticky, easy to attach plastic surface very good and to shape with my spatula, but it is difficult to scratch, peel off from the plastic plate.
As for the Wave putty, it’s dry and hard to attach to the plastic. It’s suitable to express peeling off the Zimmerit Coating with a design knife. Wave putty starts hardening in an hour, so I recommend you mix the putty little by little.
I might be finished in the three-color camouflage of the considerably complicated random pattern. I adjusted the color tone a little to mix dark yellow into dark green and red-brown, and the united feeling of the overall tone appeared. When the camouflage paint is over, I felt an accomplishment feeling.
This attached decal was not softened on the rough coating, unlike Cartograf decals, even I used decals softer. Finally, I used plastic cement on this decal, and anyway it’s attached. Some parts are melted so I need to retouch them with a brush.
The latest model characteristic points are the hinge of escape hatch on the turret, backside of the loader’s hatch, the size of idler wheels, muzzle brake, etc. In the first place, was it good for the latest model to do coating? Anyway, this time the coated tank is better looking.
The last stage of WWII German tank camouflage pattern has the largest area color dark green. Maybe it’s more interesting to blow first dark green. I have another heavy tank of King Tiger Henschel gun turret and I’ll try this tank blow first green.
Driver’s and Machine-gunner’s round hatch was able to be open-closed, but leave open prevents the turret from turning. It will be broken if I handle too much so the closing position is best. Periscopes glass was painted in blue, I suppose green or blue both of them OK.
Speaking of the 101st SS Heavy tank battalion, the battalion commander was that famous Michael Wittmann around that time. Tank number 007 seemed to be his boarding tank. He was killed in action by an attack of the Sherman firefly in the fight of Villers-Bocage on 8th August 1944. He was one of the excellent tank commanders during WWII.
I wonder it’s improved comparing this to the Tiger which I made before. I think it’s cooler than before, I had strong washing but modest weathering. The Zimmerit Coating was very difficult but enjoyable.
I am interested in models of tanks, airplanes, ships, military figures, I build it little by little when I feel like it. I am also interested in the history of war. My starting is Tamiya’s Military Miniature series in the elementary school.
From elementary school through university students repeatedly suspend and restart my modeling, it’s about 25 years of this hobby’s history.
Born in February 1970, I live in Tokyo. From February 2007 I was quietly doing a site called “Miniature-Arcadia”. It is being transferred to this blog with the same name from December 2016. My update pace is uneven, but please come to see here occasionally.